Friday, May 16, 2008

How many quilts have I made?


I've been asked a few times how many quilts I have made. To be honest I wasn't sure so I dragged them out and off beds and from the spots that I stash them and counted them up. There are 22 in this pile! I should have placed a small child next to the stack to give a bit of persective. I know there have been more that I have given away as baby gifts and some that I have sold on ebay - ones that I have made just to make them or use up some fabric that has been sitting in the stash for just too long.

I don't think of myself as a "quilter". Mostly I make quilts to do something with the emboderies I like to do in the evenings to wind down. With all the kids and work .... I really need to wind down. The quilts that are pieced I have made because I love the fabric and I wanted some in my collection. Maybe I should join a quilt group and confess to being one...
Its been only baby quilts or the first couple that I made have been hand quilted. Now I send all of the quilts off to be machine quilted because then I am happy to use them and wash them and not be too precious. With the amount of stitchery and applique in them, most need to be custom quilted too.

There are 3 quilts on the go at the moment. Leanne's House Ruth's Quilt, half pieced next to the sewing machine, the Lime and Soda quilt I started at Ballarat Patchwork last weekend, and my terrible confession ... the Seedpackets quilt by Bronwyn Hayes at Red Brolly that I did the stitcheries for maybe 2 years ago and I haven't put the borders on because I am going to use my left overs from the Ruth's Quilt and until that is finished I don't want to put into the scraps.

So there are a few more quilts left for show and tell. No sneak peek of Lucy's yet because it is still sitting at the dining table surround by auditioning fabric and a calculator.

Have a great weekend all! It's Matt's birthday tomorrow x Rachel

10 comments:

Farmyard Crafts said...

I don't think that you could have answered my question better!! Look at all those quilts!!! I get you on the winding down issues! Me too! I've been getting into a cross stitch lately... should do something else for a bit... like the Macca's Farm one!! Hope you have a great weekend celebrating Matt's birthday. Regards, Maree.

Chookyblue...... said...

guess what........your a quilter.......hate to tell you this is you don't want to be one but.......you definitely are.........and I like the stitcheries also........

Solstitches said...

That's a nice stack of quilts and those seed packet stitcheries are going to make another gorgeous quilt to add to your collection.

Bloom said...

The stitcheries are just lovely. And I hope we will get see each of those quilts in in all their glory?

Jo Jo said...

What a great achievement Rachel. They all look fantastic. Happy birthday Matt, hope you all enjoy your birthday celebrations together. I love birthdays....mmm cake!

Linda said...

I have to agree with Donna, sounds to me like you're a quilter..*s* I love the fact that you're including your embroidery into your quilts. It seems the art and love of embroidery is having a revival, thank goodness. Hope you enjoy the birthday celebrations.

vlijtig said...

What a pile of hours work you are showing us there! I would love to make a picknick-size-quilt once, but till now such a project is too big for me. And you've made a lot of these projects.... Admiration, admiration!

Lucy Locket-Pocket said...

Have a lovely birthday weekend!

Those quilts are fab - I can't believe you have so many!!!

(Well actually I can - I was beginning to guess you had rather a lot - and you don't think of yourself as a quilter?????)

Can't wait for the sneaky peek of mine!

Lucy xxx

Kitty said...

Happy Birthday Matt!

How can you not think of yourself as a quilter! If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it IS a duck! :-p

x

shequilts said...

Yep, you're a quilter. You best own up. LOL

I love those seed packet stitcheries. I know what you mean about the borders though, I am doing Lynette Anderson's little Noah's Ark BOM, but I haven't put borders on my stitcheries because I'm waiting on the scraps from a quilt-in-progress. So I will be left with a little pile of stitcheries, too.

Haave a great birthday weekend.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...