Thursday, July 17, 2008

My stitchery tips

I've been asked a few times on how I do my stitcheries, and the colours I use etc. This is just how I do it, I'm not telling anyone else to sew like this or I am right, it just works for me! Here goes.... stitchery 101

  • I always use a hoop, and I like my little 6" one. I never seem to cover a large area in one go, so this size is easy to manage and to pack away, plus, I am used to this size now!

  • The colours I uses are generally the ones that will match the fabric I am going to work on, or what catches my eye at Lincraft when I have a project in mind. For the Sunshine in your Pocket it was 3328 a nice pinky red. I also use 3832 for more of a bright pink, 221 and 224 and 814 for other red shades. I also like to stitch in blue dmc 930 and 931, and for a brighter blue 824

  • In my last post I said I don't use calico or black dmc anymore. I do use a bit of black for things like stitching ladybugs but not very often. I'm more likely to use a dark brown and this is because it matches the fabric I use. I don't like calico. I can't iron it perfectly and its never the quality of the patchwork fabrics I use.

  • I stitch on patchwork quality tone on tone fabric, quilters muslin or quilters homespun or nice cotton/linen mix fabric. I use 2 strands of dmc thread, one sometimes and never more than two.

  • I've tried using fabric stablisers and whisper welf. Okay on a linen/cotton mix, but I prefer using pellon behind my fabric. I like how it keeps the fabric in place with the hoop and the slightly soft look and that you can't see any of the threads through it.

  • Yep, always use a hoop and I stitch around satin sitched areas. I use back stitch, french knots, running stitch, lazy daisys and satin stitch.

  • I always use a wash out marker and I wash it out really throughly.
Ummmm, is that it? I think you have to practice stitcheries so make sure you do them often! hahahaha. I hope this helps Anne!

12 comments:

Nancy in Norway said...

Great stitching tips. I always use a frame too.

anne said...

thanks for the info. I now know what I have been doing wrong, I have been stem stitching instead of back stitch. Thanks again, off to practice. Happy stitching

Kitty said...

Great tips ... but I suspect it helps to have a whopping dose of stitchy talent too. I can't imagine being able to do anything approaching the quality of your work.

x

Kelly said...

Thanks for the tips. They'll come in handy when i finally get around to starting one. I just love your work...

Annemiek said...

That's really usefull! I see these stitchery thingy's popping up everywhere and I'm tempted! Didn't find a great online shop yet with the patterns I want.

Lesley said...

Thanks for the great stitching tips. Your work always looks so beautifully done so it's nice to know your secrets!

xxx

Catherine said...

This is so fabulously useful for me. I've been wanting to start a stitchery project for ages but have bee slightly hesitant as it has been years since I've done any. Your tips will help -- a lot!

dottycookie said...

Fabulous tips - but what's pellon?

debbie said...

thankyou thankyou, I'm new to stitchery (if that's a word) so that was very helpful. I think pellon must be the same as interfacing in the UK, although interfacing sounds more like something my husband does at work, rather than something you iron onto the back of fabric before you embroider onto it! LOL xxx

Lucy Locket-Pocket said...

Thanks for the tips Rachel - as you know, I am always astounded by the neatness and quality of your stitcheries!

I've never managed to use a hoop - maybe I should try. And I've recently tried using iron on interfacing (is that what you mean by pellon?) instead of using fine cotton wadding/batting, but I find I can see the ends of my threads at the back from the front (does that make any sense?) and I am not a neat enough finisher-off-er to get away with it!

It's great to get some new tips - but I don't think I'll ever get my stitches as even and tiny as yours!

Lucy xxx

anne said...

sleepover, sleepover at Dragonfly Crafts, check it out

Tina D said...

Thanks for your great tips. I really like the little stitchery pictured with the beautiful verse. Can you tell me please is it a Bronwyn Hayes design and is it from one of her books. I'd love to know - thanks again. Tina D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...