Sunday, August 17, 2008

Fab Fabric Baskets!

I've been trying to get on top of the crafting a little bit this week. I've finished Jen's project for the cupcake swap, and finished this pincushion by Cinderberry Stitches. I thought it would be a quick project, but it took me 6 nights to get it done. I was working late on some of the nights though, but longer than expected. I'm not sure if I am happy with it, its a bit wonky but it may get better with use and the stuffing settles down. See the cute button in the middle, a gift from Val. I've also made some progress on the butterfly quilt.

Last night I really wanted to do something quick. I just love the fabric basket that Lisa had made at Spoonful of Sugar and I followed the link here. I was cutting the fabric out while Matt read a story each to the kids, settled myself with the footy on the radio, and sewed while Matt went out to visit a mate. I added a bit of ric rac and a line of stitching detail to the pattern, and look, two little baskets made in an evening.

Today we took the kids out to Lake Wendouree for a late lunch and a play in the playground. They had a great time, even thought it was a bit misty. Look at Callum, hardly any teeth! Then off to buy a new couch for one of our living spaces. Hooray! It only took us two visits to pick out a couch and fabric. Unheard of....

Now I'm waiting for the weekly phone call from Ayden. He was going on his solo last Thursday, a full day and night camping alone to have a think and reflect, and a chance to be on your own. I'm interested to hear how that one went.

Thanks for all the help with the batik fabrics too. I've got a bit of an idea now...

15 comments:

trashalou said...

Wow! Lake Wendouree has a playground?!?!? Things have chaaaanged.

Stina said...

Great finishes...that bag is really wonderful!! And the pincushion...it´s adorable!! No wonder it took some time to finish!!

May Britt said...

The pincushion is beautiful, a lot of work on it. And those bags are on my to do list.

Fran Williams said...

Well if King Island's temps are anything like the rest of the state, I hope he was a lovely down sleeping bag!

hugz,

silverpebble said...

That pincushion is just sumptuous - beautiful!!! I can't see any wonk in it! Those little baskets are so lovely too - and really useful! Yet another bloggy project that I'd love to do but I don't have a sewing machine and wouldn't know where to start!

Daisy Jayne said...

The bags look great......
and the pincushion looks fine to me
there is a lot of work on it

Tammy said...

I love the baskets! I need to find some time and make about a thousand of those. Thanks for sharing.

Farmyard Crafts said...

Rachel, the pin cushion is gorgeous! I can understand why it may have taken a little longer to complete though!! Hope you had a great time out yesterday. What have you decided to do with the batiks? (I had no idea!) Hope that Ayden goes really well on his solo! I hope the postie brings me the rest of the fabric for my star quilt today... all the way from usa!

periwinkle said...

lovely pincushion - it doesn't look wonky to me. Those bags are on my list too , so many things so little time :-)
lisa x

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love your basket - you ar right thaey are quite addictive - i have been making more this week as well!

Tracy said...

Lovely little pincushion, Rachel...it's just soooo pretty! And after seeing Lisa's fabric baskets, I'm dyign to try making a pair too...There's gonna be a lot of fabric baskets out there now ;o) I think these baskets will be great to organize stuff in my craft room. Can't wait for more on the batiks...Happy Days ((HUGS))

Annie said...

Rachel, that pincushion is GREAT, and I just love those baskets. I'd been meaning to make some but forgot all about them. Will follow your links - thanks. Isn't it great to see water in the lake again.

Lucy Locket-Pocket said...

Your pincushion is very pretty and I love those baskets - I'll have to have a look at the pattern now! Lucy x

Katy said...

my fab friend made me one of those baskets - they're so handy. I need to have a go at it too!

sandra said...

Hi, your pincushion and the bags are beautiful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...