Saturday, October 25, 2008

Tutorial - Gift Bags to Make

Gift Bags to Make

*** The stitchery I have used for this bag is not my design. I has been designed by Bronwyn Hayes of Red Brolly from a pattern called Christmas Bags.

My bag pattern used for this tutorial can be used to feature a stitchery, appliqué or fabric panel. Great to make for Christmas or Mothers Day gifts.

All seams unless stated are ¼ inch

Cut from red spotted fabric
(2) 2.5” x 5.5” – stitchery sides
(2) 2.5” x 8.5” - stitchery top and bottom
(1) 8.5” x 9.5” - bag back
(2) 2.5” x 12” - handles
(1) 2” x 29” – bag gusset

From the lining fabric
(2) 8.5” x 9.5” - lining front and back
(1) 2” x 29” - lining gusset

From Pellon
(2) 8.5” x 9.5” - bag front and back
(1) 2” x 29” - lining gusset

Ric rac
Cut 4 10” pieces


Trim your stitchery to size, 4.5” x 5.5”

Sew the two side pieces to the stitchery and press.

Sew the two top and bottom pieces of fabric to your stitchery section and press


Following the manufacturer instructions, iron pellon to the front, back and gusset sections of your bag

Lay ric rac along the two long sides of your bag front and back touching the edge of your fabric. The ric rac will be slightly longer than your fabric. Using a larger machine stitch, sew along the edge of your ric rac with a scant seam to hold it in place.

Trim the ric rac to size

Adding the bag gusset.

Find the centre point of your bag front and the gusset strip and pin. Then pin the corners. Carefully fold the strip so it continues along each side. Pin.


Sew together. In the corners stop about ¼ inch from the end, and with the needle down, lift the foot and turn the fabric, adjusting the fabric as necessary. Repeat with the next corner. Use your scissors to clip your seams.
Your gusset strip will be longer than your bag and this will need to be trimmed later.

Repeat with the bag back, Turn and press, the trim the extra gusset strip so you have a neat bag top, with a cute ric rac edge.

Make the lining in the same way, leaving a 2.5” gap on one side of the gusset for turning the bag.

Make the handles by sewing along the long side of the 12” fabric, turn and press with the seam positioned in the centre.


Pin handles 1.5” from the side seam on the outside bag, with raw edges aligned

Place the bag inside the bag lining with the right sides facing and the top edges and seams aligned. Stitch around the top of the bag. Turn the bag right way out though the gap in the lining. Push the lining into the bag, press. Top stitch around the edge.

Slip stitch the opening closed.




Ta da! A gift bag that can be made in an afternoon! Great to give to teachers and carers, family members and friends.

If you would like this tutorial as a printable pdf pattern, please email me and I will send you one. Happy to answer any questions too. x Rachel

21 comments:

Annie said...

Rachael, I wish I was teaching your kids. That bag is great. I would like to try one.

Lucy Locket-Pocket said...

That looks so gorgeous and so effective! Thanks for the tutorial! Lucy x

trashalou said...

I love the tutorial but really need a piece of paer with it on so that I can cover it with crumbs, drink stains and dog hair. So I can lose it for several days or hours and think I will never see it again just to add another dimension to my life.

Please email me the pdf, please, please, please.

trashalou@googlemail.com

debbie said...

Hi Rachael, I'd love a copy of your bag, it will make a nice Xmas pressie.

Kitty said...

Fabulous! Consider yourself bookmarked. x

Simone said...

Great bag, great tutorial! Thanks for sharing it and making such good and clear pictures. Definitely going to make it.

Laura said...

Ciao
grazie , molto bello il progetto e tutorial

laura

Tammy (Mom to this crazy bunch) said...

That is so adorable. If I can ever find a few minutes to break out the sewing machine again... this is on my list!

our shabby cottage said...

Gee I envy the teachers you give these to! The bag looks great and the Santa turned out beautifully!

Emi said...

-Wonderful, very good...Congratulations...

From Costa Rica...

dottycookie said...

Such a sweet project - and I love the stitchery!

periwinkle said...

I've marked this page - thank you . This bag is just lovely
Lisa x

Mand-a-Lin said...

Gorgeous Rachel. Love the ric-rac element. I'm not too good at stichery, so I might try a simple foundation pieced Christmas tree for the centre.

Linda said...

Rachel this bag is ADORABLE! I love it, so very cute! Must get that stitchery it's adorable

Lesley said...

I'd love the pdf please Rachael! I may not make one immediately but it can onto my 'I want to make one' list :)

Your finished bag is gorgeous :)

xxx

Janellybelly said...

Hi Rachel
Thanks for sharing the tutorial - I will be making these for the teachers :)
Blessings
Janelle xx

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Very very cute. I love that polka dot fabric. And the santa is adorable.

everythingquilts said...

Cute gift bag, thanks for the tutorial.

Christine said...

Great tutorial .. hope I get time to try it sometime.
Christine

Chookyblue...... said...

could I please get the PDF.........

Jillian's Blog said...

I would love to have a printable version of this beautiful bag!
jillian_mt@hotmail.com
Thanks sooo much : )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...