Friday, February 10, 2012

Ayden's Messenger Bag


In January we organised a trip to Melbourne to catch up Nikki and Lara,  along with Jodie and Annie.  I dragged Ayden along to help with the Melbourne driving and to add a some time and experience to his driving log book. 

Ayden spotted a sample of the Laptop Bag by Nicole Mallalieu at Nikki's studio and through it would make him a messenger bag.  I have a boy who is interested in both fabric and design so I couldn't say no.   I stressed about every aspect of making this bag - before I made it.  I wanted it to look so perfect and I am very proud of how it all came together.  As always the directions on the pattern were fantastic and I worked through the steps carefully to make the Intermediate level bag.  The bag is strong and sturdy and a good size for Ayden.  The strap is adjustable too.


The bag is made from black canvas that I bought from the upholstery section of spotlight and the front flap the bikes and trams fabric designed by Ink and Spindle.  Inside is lined with a quilting cotton that was interfaced.  I even added a zip pocket inside as Ayden wanted to make sure that his glasses that he wears for lectures would be secure. There are 4 more pockets inside too,  and one on the outside front under the flap.


Ayden leaves home tomorrow and his bag is already packed and ready to go.  He loves it,  and I love how clever Nikki's patterns make you feel :)

9 comments:

Jane said...

Oh, I can only hope my boys are still enjoying mama-made items at the same age. That's wonderful!

Chookyblue...... said...

goodluck to Ayden.........love the bag.......

Annie said...

Great Bag Rachael, and it was a good day

Nikki said...

It looks fantastic Rachel!!! And that boy of yours has excellent taste. :)

AJ said...

Have a great day tomorrow Ayden! That bag looks great Rachel!

Karen said...

Fantastic bag Rachel, that fabric is just perfect. Best of luck to Ayden in his new adventure, and to you too as he heads off to uni.

Breakfast Jo said...

The bag looks great! VERY professional!! You deserve to be proud. Your son had better keep his hands on that bag Rachel, I can see some unscrupulous person nabbing it :O( Nikki's patterns are great, love the instructions. Lesson in an envelope.

Kate said...

The bag is brilliant!
So professional. Of course he loves it.
Thinking of you right now. Deep breaths.
Lotsa love.
xx

Tanya said...

Hi Rachel- good luck to ALL of you, what a big step, big adventure. I hope you all settle in to Ayden being in Melbs without too much drama. The bag is just amazing, looks fantastic.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...