Sunday, October 7, 2012

Oliver + S Croquet Dress for Maya

Making the Oliver + S Croquet Dress has been on my list for a little while. It is rated level 2 of 4 for difficulty by Oliver + S so I know it would be a dress to take my time over and get the make the most of all the details that are in the patterns.

The pattern features two options for the front and I made view B without the collar. The back also closes with a threaded button loop - the first time I have used this and it was simpler than expected for the nice finish.  I loved making the top of the dress.  It came together perfectly and is a good fit on Maya and I was really pleased with my level of finish.

Yesterday when Maya tried the dress on she didn't like it and I wasn't happy with it either. I considered cutting off the top and making it into a blouse but instead bought some softer elastic for the drop waist and left it the elastic bit longer. It made all the difference.  Maya is pleased with it now and I am confident it will get worn.  The fabric is from the range Children at Play.

I will make this dress again but I think I will use the dress section from the Jump Rope Dress B and use the top of the Croquet dress.

5 comments:

Jane said...

It's sweet and I love the fabric, and how pleased she looks! I can see how a tighter drop-waist would not have worked so well, and wouldn't be terribly run-around-and-play-friendly. But as it is now, lovely.

thornberry said...

Rachel, I think that it looks lovely! Very sweet. The slight change has made it work beautifully (and now I'm really looking forward to making the ones for my girls too).

WendyBee said...

I think the dress is adorable (and the model quite charming too). And I think your choice of fabrics is just the right playful touch..

Karen said...

I read someone else who had the same issue with this dress Rachel - she did the same - loosened the elastic.
This is the next on my 'to do' list so I will keep that in mind.
I love this little dress - and Maya has such a gorgeous smile.

Lisa said...

Ive been tempted to get this pattern a few times, I love the elastic/tie waist, but you've given me a idea to use the Jump Rope pattern and modify it :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...