Saturday, December 8, 2012

Mary ~ Nativity Play Costume


The last event on the school calendar was the carol service and Nativity play which is preformed by the Grade 1's and 2's.  Last year Maya was a snake and you can see the costume here.

I was a bit surprised when the letter came home saying Maya needed a costume to be Mary. Maya thought she was going to be a narrator!


The Mary costume came together very quickly with fabric from my stash.  For the dress I lengthened the Ayashe blouse pattern and made it with blue lawn that I had bought at a Spotlight sale for about a dollar a metre last year sometime. This time I made the pattern with no trouble at all and it came together very quickly. The scarf was a piece of rayon that I simply sewed a rolled hem on my overlocker that was held in place with a hairband.

Maya did a great job!  She isn't the natural performer and its a bit tricky for 7 year olds to sit up front of the Church service.  I will donate the outfit back to the school so any future Mary's can have the option of wearing it if they like.  Sewing a costume at the last minute is not the easiest.

3 comments:

Calidore said...

You did a wonderful job on Maya's costume and she looks so sweet in it. Lovely to hear that the school does the Nativity play - so many don't seem to do anything these days and it never seems the same.

WendyBee said...

As always, I think Maya is lovely. Our public schools are not permitted to do the Nativity store, and I think it is too strict an interpretation of our Constitution. But I do enjoy the presentation our Sunday School students give us each year in Church. It's important to have tissues handy, though.

WendyBee said...

Oops that should be Nativity story, not store.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...